Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 6

PHOTO OF THE DAY!! to see why, read on!

This morning we checked out of the lodge (thankful we'd "paid" to have someone else clean it and do the laundry--thanks Gpa!) and spent the day with the Don Lewis family.

Aaron had heard about the Alpine Slide, a large slide where you have to ride to the top of a mountain on a ski lift and then ride a toboggan type thing down to the bottom. He wanted to do this with his kids. I thought, "sure we'll go along and watch but there is NO WAY were going to get our kids on something like this." Kaitlyn is a bright girl, but new things are overwhelming for her and she tends to shy away from them. And unfortunately because she's the oldest, the others follow her cues. Lindsey (wild woman) would LOVE something like this but I was afraid she'd be too little.

But I didn't voice these concerns out loud I thought I'd give my kids the benefit of seeing it and making their own assessments.So we get there and we take the kids to see the actual slide. THANK GOODNESS for my sis-in-law Summer--she's the BEST!!--Kaitlyn really feels safe with her but not so safe that she'll freak out. Summer was able to explain to her how everything worked and even agreed to go with her and take things at a pace that was good for her. Once Kaitlyn was on board, Sam was in and thankfully we learned that Lindz could go too! AWESOME!!

So tickets were purchased and the crew climbed aboard the ski lift. Again I thought this would cause some concern but it didn't (Lindz a bit once she realized she was going up high and was away from Mom (who stayed down with Matthew) and Dad (who was on the other chair lift with Summer, Kaitlyn & Sam).
On the way down you can control how fast or slow you go (I didn't realize that at first) and I guess Kaitlyn just kept wanting to go faster and faster! I was SHOCKED!! And THRILLED! Kaitlyn needs experiences that push her outside her box, and this was WAY outside that box! Way to go KP!!
Here are Sam & DadAnd Grandpa with Lindsey.

After this, we grabbed a bite to eat and then headed to Bridal Veil Falls. Our thought was that the kids could wade in the water and cool off. We unfortunately were not the only ones with this idea.....So the water fun was okay, the water was cold and my kids had a hard time "warming" up to the idea. But Stephen had other ideas, he wanted to climb up the falls--and he took his kids with him. At first I glance up and see him starting to climb with Sam. I thought, "Oh what a good father-son activity to do--Sam will LOVE that." But then they kept climbing, and climbing and every time I looked they were higher and higher and I was getting NERVOUS. But eventually they stopped (way after I would have liked them to) and came down.
THEN, Kaitlyn still in "out of her box" mode wanted to have her turn to climb so she did it too!

After Bridal Veil Falls we headed to my Dad's favorite place on earth--BYU PROVO campus. I wanted BYU T-shirts for me and my kids, but know what? It was a "holiday" for the 4th and the Bookstore was closed! BOOOOOOO
BUT, we did take a shot of the "Lewis" kids, Me (with my little bundle), my "little brothers" Ben & Aaron. (my sister, Pearl wasn't able to make the trip and we missed her!)

No comments: