Sunday, April 5, 2015

Christmas Concert at the Meyerson (Millennial Choirs and Orchestras)


Twice a year I feel like I get to visit heaven.  My girls and I are in the most amazing choral organization and we had our Christmas Concert at the Myerson Symphony Center in Dallas.  It was superb!
One song in particular that really got to me was "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day".  The story behind the song written by Henry Wordsworth Longfellow was of a personal nature to him.  His son had entered the Civil War as a soldier and was feared dead.  Then his wife was cutting his children's hair and saving their locks in envelopes.  The wax she used to seal the envelopes somehow started her dress on fire.  Though he tried to smother the flames by rolling her in a carpet, she died from her burns.

The lines from the song read.

And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;

"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;

The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men."

And I can't sing this song without thinking of my mom.  Of the man who killed her and of the justice I wanted for her.  I often practiced it through my tears and I cried the night we performed it too.

I know she's there when we sing in these concerts, I'm sure she's in the choirs in heaven and that she comes to sing with me in the Meyerson.

 

No comments: