Monday, October 13, 2008

Eat it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!

Okay people, I am probably going to get busted for this and this post will be removed later, but hubby is out of town and so he may not see this for a few days.

Something that I give Stephen a hard time about is how long he insists on wearing his clothing. He takes "wear it out" to a whole new level in my opinion. When we got married he still had lots of soccer shorts that he used to wear in high school and the elastic in them cracked when I tried to stretch them, he had about 18 t-shirts that were the free give away type shirts. I've slowly insisted that even in a month of Saturdays he wouldn't need so many so now were down for about 8 I think. You get the picture.

He has had THESE SHORTS since his freshman year....in HIGH SCHOOL! They've been his Saturday grubbies for a while since they've long ago been banished from being worn in public. But just this last weekend he mentioned that they probably are about done. He was proud of the fact that they've lasted him so long (17 years!). Sure we'll run on out and get you a replacement pair sweetie, I'm sure PCH brand cotton shorts are still available.

Now as much as I poke fun at this, I do truly appreciate this about my husband because I know that we are financially secure largely due to his frugal nature and his inattention to the latest fashion trend. His attachment to his clothing is just one of those quirky things to love and adore about him. Don't you think?

How long do you think is too long to keep an item of clothing?

4 comments:

The McGary Family said...

I admit that I have a few clothing items still from high school, but I should toss most of them. One shirt has been so worn out it has become my designated 'painting shirt', I wear it when I paint or do grubby work like cleaning the garage.
It's hard to let go of comfy items.

MomDadLewis said...

The excellent thing about having a pair of shorts that long is that he CAN STILL FIT into them! That is amazing. And I've seen how this guy EATS your cook cooking! Wish I had his metabolism.

Jaime Rubio said...

Too long? I do still have things from high school too and it is always hard to let go of those things that meant something to you. Although, I think that you should let things go when they become that worn out--5 to 10 years max!

Unknown said...

Sounds like of like Ben! He wears stuff out completely too, though he hasn't had 17 years to do it yet. Which is a bit long...those shorts looked sketchy! I'm so grateful for his frugality, because we certainly don't have spare change for keeping up with fashions. Better to be clothed and debt free, than fashionable and in a whirlpool of debt.