Sunday, June 27, 2010

Oh What do you do in the summertime?

So summer is crazy! I wouldn't think that having one more at home would throw me so off kilter but it has, I feel like it's such a struggle to fit it all in and I think I just need to get over myself and lower my expectations. But I started the summer with such high hopes of LOTS OF FUN activities for me and the kids, making memories and doing things that school days don't allow. BUT alas, life happens and the day to day chores part of life have to have a place too so we're finding a balance.

I LOVE having a routine, I don't function well without one (and neither do my kids) so we've worked to find a new one that's working for us.

Here is what we ARE doing well this summer:

MORNING DEVOTIONAL: A few months ago I felt a really strong impression that our children needed to be more familiar with the scriptures and their stories. It was a crazy time, Matthew was a newborn and Stephen was working even more than now and I was struggling just to run the show at home as practically a single parent so I accepted the impression and guidance and prayed that the Lord would help me think of a way to fit this in. My answer came in the form of the Scripture Readers on DVD. The evening after dinner and before bedtime was a crazy time around our house and the thought (not from me) came that I should turn those on in that 30-45 min period before bed to help the kids wind down. I was almost always nursing Matthew then and it gave me time to not only watch with the kids but pause and take moments to explain and ask them questions.
It was amazing what spirit entered our home by doing this.

So fast forward to this summer when we don't have the crazy get ready for school mornings. After breakfast, getting dressed, making beds and tidying rooms we have SCRIPTURE STUDY. We watch 1-2 stories on the DVD and then we READ from the Book of Mormon. Kaitlyn can read (with a little help) a column a day. I read with her and explain what words and phrases mean and help her understand the story. Then I help Sam read 3-4 verses and then I show Lindsey a picture in the front and tell her the story. Then if things are still somewhat calm we sing a song and say a prayer.

My kids are learning to LOVE the scriptures, Kaitlyn tells me she feels happy, Sam is using gospel language in his prayers at dinner and like Elder Bednar counseled in our last general conference, I'm finding ways to spontaneously bear my testimony with my kids about how a certain verse has blessed my life! I'm loving it. I am convinced that unless my children learn to love the scriptures they will have a hard time staying on the straight and narrow. And by doing this while they're young and are willing and happy to do it we're setting a pattern of consistency with regards to reading the scriptures. I am so grateful for the scriptures AND for modern day prophets who counsel us on how to raise these special children who are going to grow up in a rough world.

CHORES: A few months before Matthew was born we started (again) to try and have the kids do chores, but this time it actually stuck (AND IT CHANGED MY LIFE) and now that they're home more (and messing more) I'm having them help me with even more housework. They each have their daily jobs but about 3 times a week they have to help me clean a bathroom, vacuum their bedrooms, make their beds and clean their rooms daily....and I know it takes me A LOT longer to clean my house with "help" than doing it by myself BUT this is an investment in my future because in a couple years they'll be able to do these jobs without my help. It's been great!

PLAYING OUTSIDE: The other day I'd been busy on the phone and computer for most of the morning and was feeling like I was really neglecting my kids so we spontaneously had a picnic lunch outside in the front under our trees and I read books to them--it felt so good to get myself away from all the distractions of my to do list and focus on them.

We also try and get out first thing in the morning to play on the play set or ride bikes or kick a ball. It gets so hot here by the afternoon and my kids are up with the sun so on a good day we're outside right after scripture study so that we can get some energy out. Both Kaitlyn and Sam need to work on learning to ride their bikes so that's a goal of mine for the summer.

Other things I'm still trying to fit in: school time where I keep Kaitlyn's brain engaged (she's READING like crazy) and helping Sam learn to write his letters, and then there's all the other fun stuff summer HAS to include like swimming and trips to the library.....

But I have to just take a step back and let things happen, my kids are doing a lot of creative play inventing their own games and diversions and they all get involved. The TV is not on a lot (Horray!!) and we're crafting and reading and enjoying each other.

All in all, I'm loving the flexibility that summer offers us!

1 comment:

MomDadLewis said...

Fun trip! Great summertime activities! Priorities in order! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the scripture time! Fortunate children! Wonderful mommy. Love you!