Thursday, January 20, 2011

SNOW!!!

So the first snowstorm of 2011 hit almost 2 weeks ago. Snow in Texas is great in my opinion because it comes, if it stays long enough to have some fun in, but is gone before it really hampers your life. THIS snowstorm however was unusual because it stayed cold enough for almost 5 days and so the snow was here to play in, and play in and play in and to be honest, I was starting to get annoyed.

AND this snow storm had an adventure for
me. I was up in Bonham (40 min North) for a ward conference, it started snowing on my drive up there and just really came down during the 2 hours I was there. Stephen called and was concerned with me getting home safely so he asked me to leave before church was even over. There was a good 2-3 inches of snow that had already fallen. Now I am a So-CA transplant and I've haven't driven much in the snow, and in this situation, out in the country, when I left I was the one paving the road. I had been slipping some even on the way up so I was really worried about getting home. I was blessed because Brother Doug Pickup for some reason decided to leave when I did and before I got too far, he allowed me to follow him. That was such divine intervention. At one point I really slipped and spun out. Doug circled back and got me back on the road. I sung hymns and prayed the whole 2 hour 10 min it took me to get home, and man was I glad to make it!

But on a positive note, the kids really loved the snow! Sunday evening we hurried to eat dinner and then bundled up to go on a walk. Sam was too cold and not that thrilled with the outing, Lindsey on the other hand was in heaven, tromping through the 4-5 inches of fresh snow and watching her footprints. Then it was home for hot cocoa with marshmallows. It was everything that is magical and special about being a kid.Then the next day, school started late but after school we built a snowman in the backyard with Grandma, Aunt Pearl and her friend.
There There was a snowball or two thrown. Sam has quite the aim! When I picked him up from school that day the kids were throwing snowballs at each other and Sam was getting quite the thrill out of telling his teachers to turn around so he could throw a snowball at their back
and I was amazed at how accurate he was!

Kaitlyn loves making BIG snowballs and snow angels, she LOVES playing in the snow.
and Matthew is not a fan
of the cold (his face had borne the brunt of a wayward snowball by a kid at Kaitlyn's school and it was pretty traumatic--he didn't like being outside watching so he didn't stay there long) But Like I said the snow stuck around and I dried gloves, hats and clothes over and over again and we drank countless mugs of hot chocolate. It was a great week!

No comments: