Friday, October 14, 2011

My last living grandparent

Glenn Robertson Lewis
July 5, 1920-September 27, 2011
(photo taken last Summer, at a family reunion to celebrate his 90th birthday)
Beloved Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great-Grandfather.....

He had prostate cancer that had spread into his bones. He was diagnosed in July and we were told he'd last about 6 months. We were expecting a funeral in November or December, I was caught a little off guard when it happened at the end of September, but we're grateful that he felt no pain--amazing since bone cancer can be one of the more painful ones. The cancer was never treated, he was 91, we just wanted to make him comfortable and we did.

Things I want remember about my grandfather:
1. He LOVED good music and singing. He loved to gather around the piano and harmonize. He also whistled a lot and I loved to hear him whistle.
2. He used to create treasure hunts for us when we were little, he'd lead us to little stashes of candy and we thought it was great fun.
3. He always used the term, "mighty grateful and thankful"--it was one of my favorites.
4. He was always a gentlemen and was kind and loving to my grandmother and his second wife Jean (who he married after grandma died) He and Jean enjoyed 22 years together, I firmly believe she extended his life because she made him so happy.
5. He LOVED a family game night. He introduced us to all games played with Rook cards, Rummikub and Mexican Train played with Dominoe
s.
6. His testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ was firm and he shared his testimony and other counsel in monthly letters to all of us.

I am grateful for the legacy he has left me, and I will try to live up to the Lewis name.

*****

So you know from my previous post that attending a funeral in the middle of the "Boy Scout Training Gauntlet" was going to take some doing. I live in Texas, the funeral took place in Utah. I wasn't going to take 4 kids via plane or car by myself. So I am "mighty grateful and thankful" for my wonderful Mother-in-law who was able to come and care for my kids for 48 hours while I flew to UT for the funeral.

She really outdid herself, I am so amazingly blessed. About 6 hours before I was to get up for an early morning flight, Sam started throwing up. A very strong virus had hit the kindergarten and first grade at school and he threw up all night long. I felt so bad to leave her with that, thankfully no one else in my family got sick (but she did when she got home--I feel guilty).

But while she was here she made perfect chocolate chip cookies, waffles and homemade pizza. She brought a pumpkin painting craft for my children:
And my empty pots were filled with beautiful flowers perfect for fall.I feel so loved. I was able to go, alone, and grieve, and reconnect with family, and knew that my children safe and happy and well cared for.=)


And the funeral was perfect, the music was amazing--Grandpa's love for music passed down to his grandchildren. The grandsons sang an amazing version of "I need thee every hour", and all the grandchildren sang a version of "Oh My Father" sung to the tune of "Come thou fount". The talks were wonderful--my grandfather planned his program down to the speakers, the poems, etc. I know he was happy with how it turned out.
Cousins flew in from Germany, Norway and Turkey and my brother who lives in Japan, came in as well. It was another reunion and so nice to see many of them that I wouldn't see otherwise. I especially loved the time spent with my brothers and my brother Aaron's family. I got to meet a new niece who is so precious!=)

It was a long 48 hours but I am so glad I was able to go. I'm grateful for my knowledge of the resurrection and the principle of eternal families.

No comments: