Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lights, Camera, Action

Had an exciting opportunity recently....

In my church assignment I am the director of Public Affairs (think Public Relations--right up my alley) for my area. And at times I get to do really cool things.

Our Activity Day Girls throughout the Stake (140 of them--many congregations worth) did a service project making drawstring bags and then the different wards (congregations) donated different hygiene items to fill them. In all they made 234 bags.

These bags were then donated to a local hospital who had opened a new NICU unit where the parents get to "room in". Sometimes parents come to the hospital to have a baby a bit earlier than anticipated and they come without the necessities. This is where our little bags come in.

Well, one morning I got a phone call. Three of the girls and a leader were going to deliver the bags and the hospital had reached out to local news media (CBS 11 News). In a few hours I'd farmed out my kids and was prepped to be interviewed on camera--WOW!

On the way to the hospital I prepped the girls too, they did great! To date the story still hasn't aired, but it's the kind of story that is "evergreen" meaning it's not defined by time and could be aired whenever they have a hole to fill. I was grateful for the experience.

No comments: