Sunday, June 3, 2012

Choosing the Right

***(THIS POST WAS WRITTEN almost 6 weeks ago but because of all the drama and stress, I've waited to post so things could blow over.  But it's part of our family's history, so I felt it important to include)*** 

This kid chose the right, even when it was hard....

Sam was being taught an inappropriate song at school to perform for the K-2 grades at school this past Friday.

While they were not teaching them the questionable lines from the song, they had twisted the chorus of the song to have a whole different meaning than what the artist had and had changed some of the words.  What they were being taught was not offensive or objectionable, but what concerned me was that they'd taught 30- 5 and 6 year old children to get excited about and like a song that is rampant with drug and alcohol abuse.

I voiced my concerns with first the teacher, then the principal.  I was viewed as a religious fanatic who hated all secular music and they thought I was over-reacting. 

When we saw that they were not willing to change the song we sat Sam down and explained to him our concerns with the song.  We had JUST had a lesson in FHE on choosing good media, it was time to put those principles to the test.  We gave him the choice to participate or sit it out.  He solemnly asked if he could think about it, he prayed about it over dinner and at bedtime he told us he'd decided to sit it out.  We were thrilled with his CHOOSING THE RIGHT.

He was allowed to have an alternative activity while his class practiced.  We reminded him of President Monson's recent talk of "Dare to Stand Alone."

So Sam would sit out of the performance, Kaitlyn and he would have an excused tardy the morning of the assembly.  But I continued to be concerned about this and thought my experience could benefit future situations, I'd already suggested to the principal that they look into drafting a school music policy...

REASON A: if you have a drug free school and a profanity free school, shouldn't the songs the students are exposed to follow the same standards?

REASON B: Total inconsistencies--the school talent show rules state that inappropriate songs that have had their lyrics changed are not allowed.  how is that any different than what went on with this Rise and Shine song? 

So I went a bit further, and inquired of a friend on the school board as to a district wide music policy.  He asked for some details and I was told he'd look into it.

On Monday morning, I was told that the district director of Fine Arts had visited with the principal and that the song would not be sung, AND that from this experience a district music policy would be drafted!

HOORAY! Parents can make a difference!

But it wasn't over.  I would have to stand my ground.  You see, in the principals eyes, I'd gone above her head to get this change, and the teacher was put in her place so to speak, this didn't make them look good.  And I was an easy target for blame.  

I know in my heart I was fine with letting Sam sit it out, I honestly didn't think I alone had the power to make this kind of change.  I was happy with the change but I think I was the only one.

My name became mud at the school, there was an email chain of really nasty emails of angry parents who felt I'd overstepped my rights and pushed my beliefs on others, that I was a "hater" and had nothing better to do with my time than ruin things, that the children were so disappointed and some of them even in tears over this song being cancelled.

NO SONG was done in it's place even though it would have been easy to do a different one instead, I think it was a way of keeping the situation as controversial as possible since the teachers were upset.

I felt very alone, I had a knot in my stomach that didn't go away for a couple days.  Every time I'd read a new email or a post on facebook, the knot would get tighter and tighter.  I knew people were angry with me, so I stopped reading, kept busy and reached out to friends who I knew understood my heart.  They really helped me!

By the day of the assembly, I started hearing some people in defense of pulling the song.  I still don't think the drama and anger has blown over, and it probably won't by the end of the school year (which is great because I'm the room mom and that makes things real easy!!)

But I still know that what I did was right, I feel like I was lead by the spirit to do what I did, I think of all the children who will be effected by a new district music policy.  I pray that my children are not made targets at school by administrators and teachers, I hope that teachers learn to be more careful with the songs they allow children to listen to and to be taught.  It was a refiners fire for me and I hope I passed.  I hope the Lord knows I'll stand for Him even when I have to stand alone in it.

No comments: