Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Thanksgiving 2012


So we've been trying to find time to go camping again.  Thanksgiving break offered us that chance.  The children have the week off from school so Stephen took the week off as well.  We spent 2 1/2 days at Lake Mineral Wells State Park where we camped and went...ROCK CLIMBING!  Stephen is a certified rock climbing instructor with the Boy Scouts and while he's taken a few groups out climbing, he's never taken us, his family out.  So we were super excited!  The weather was great, a little cool in the mornings.  (SIDE BAR FOR A FUNNY STORY)....Matthew got REALLY COLD in the mornings and we had to convince him to put on warmer clothes.  We were telling him that his lips were PURPLE because he was so cold.  Well, anyone who has spent time with Matthew knows that he's really into gender identity right now.  He knows he's a boy, identifies with boys and boy things and boy COLORS.  He refuses to use any cup, plate, towel, etc. that is a GIRL color, and insists on only using boy colors.  So when we suggested that his lips were turning purple he was beside himself and insisted that his lips were not PURPLE, but GREEN!

So back to Rock Climbing.  We borrowed some gear from our friend (Stake President) Jay Jones and were ready to climb.  We even had some friends, the Alldredges join us for the day and it wouldn't have been the same without them.  It was helpful to have friends to entertain whoever wasn't up on the rocks, and great to have other adults there too.  Everyone did so well.  Kaitlyn was the first one up the rock and she shocked us with her lack of fear and just scurried right up the rocks.  But we'd forgotten to explain to her how to come down so that was a bit tricky because to repel down you have to really lean back far in a way that's unnatural.  But she did awesome!  Sam went later and he also made it up to the top without a problem.  Coming down was a bit scary for him and Stephen ended up climbing up the back side of the rock to meet him at the top and help him get on the descent.  I was so proud of my husband.  He clearly knew what he was doing, which made us feel safe and confident in climbing.  

The whole day I was seeing gospel analogies over and over as we climbed and I realized how important family activities like this are in giving our children experiences that we can draw upon in gospel lessons at home.  Lessons on having parents and family as anchors, having faith, courage, overcoming fear, being able to accomplish hard things, being obedient to rules, (I can keep going).

Each of our children LOVED their turns climbing....


I was a bit scared, it was harder than I imagined it would be, I kept wanting to know what my path was supposed to be and wanted to know not just my next move but the next 3 or 4 moves (how is that a metaphor for my lift) and when I didn't have a solid grip while I planned my next move up the rock it freaked me out.  But my sweet husband climbed up (rope-less) to hang with me until I got some courage and I did make it!  And this little guy had the BEST time getting dirty at the bottom...
  
 

Kaitlyn turned out to be the star of the day, she went up 3 times and would pose at the top for me to capture a picture!  I was so proud of her.  I sent photos of her and Sam climbing to their teachers, Sam's AIM teacher, Mrs. Bell, even printed the pictures and posted them in her room (on her door) such that anyone walking by could see him!  He thought that was pretty cool!
So camping and climbing were a success.  We arrived home mid-day Wednesday and I began putting together the makings of a traditional feast. I don't think I've ever done it all on my own before, now I realize the benefits of feasting with family.  But I did enjoy it just being us and it being a quiet relaxing day!


 The day after Thanksgiving we ventured out to the Dallas Arboretum to see the Dale Chihuly exhibit (again) but this time we were accompanied by my parents and saw a special visitor there too!  Matthew was excited to see Santa!


No comments: