Sunday, January 6, 2013

White Christmas 2012 (part 2)

Wednesday the 26th was our make it or break it ski day.  We knew it would snow all day but with all the other activities planned we HAD to make it work or we weren't going to get there.

Sundance Ski Resort was our destination as they had the most friendly ski school option for our family.  We enrolled Kaitlyn, Sam and Lindsey all in ski school.

The thought of getting 4 children, luggage, carry on items, and car seats through airport security is overwhelming enough that we'll choose to fly almost every day of the week.  Getting our family through the ski rental shop was frighteningly similar--WHEW it was a swirl.  Everyone was very helpful it was just a lot to get organized.  But we did make it and in time for ski school to start.  The instructors were super nice and as we watched a bit our children seemed to be in good spirits so Stephen and I went up for a run down.

I was terrified.  I'd only been skiing once, 10 years ago, and on my second time down the mountain I fell such that my poles (wrapped around my wrist) twisted my thumb and I was out.  Stephen has been skiing a bit (on the Swiss Alps of all places with little brother Joseph) and he was so patient with me.  I was a wreck, scared, falling down a lot, convinced I couldn't do it and overwhelmed.  Stephen was patient and helpful.  It was a long ride down and even longer when you fall 10 times, but I made it.
 



I needed a breather so I sent him to go down on his own once (I wanted him to make the most of the kids being in ski school and have some fun).  I'm glad I was resting because Lindsey had a potty run.  They'd gotten them to the top and she had to go so they rode her down to the bottom to find a bathroom (and mom).  While in the bathroom Lindsey let me know she was kind of done and didn't want to ski anymore.  Poor thing was cold and DONE but she still had a bit left of her lesson and she mustered up the courage to finish the school.  

I too mustered up the courage to go down the mountain one more time. By now Grandma and Grandpa had arrived at the resort with our little "blue bear" and they agreed to get the kids from ski school so Stephen and I could go down one more time.

On our way up the lift we saw Lindsey and her teacher about half way down the mountain, we called to her and that was the straw that broke her back, she was done!  She started crying and we hollered that grandma and grandpa were at the bottom.  The instructor rode her down to the bottom for some warm hot cocoa.

My second time down was much better.  I was getting the hang of it and only fell 5 or 6 times.  It was still a bit overwhelming but I could do it.  At the bottom I was happy to find my family.  We tried to eat some lunch.  There wasn't much room indoors and so we attempted to eat outdoors.  This did Sam in, he had just gotten too cold and never got back warmed up, he was done for the day.  So Matthew, Lindsey and Matthew headed back to the house with Grandma and Grandpa for the afternoon while Stephen and I kept skiing with Kaitlyn this time.

We headed up the long lift.  Kaitlyn forgot to get her toes pointed up and almost lost her ski down the mountain but we got lucky.  Stephen was just as patient with her as he was with me and the 3 of us headed down the mountain.  Almost at the bottom is the kids area with almost no slope.  This is where she was most comfortable so she and I stopped there and spent some time riding the "lift" up and coasting down.

Kaitlyn was so happy in the snow she is growing so much and it's so great to see her have courage to face new hard things.  She LOVES skiing and can't wait to go again.


No comments: