Thursday, October 13, 2016

September 2016--week 2--Rick Hensley, Sky Ranch, Religious Freedom


 "It is well with my soul". This is the phrase that kept coming to mind tonight. There was a good man who was involved in the accident that killed my mom. He was minding his own business, driving the speed limit when a reckless driver under the influence came up behind him and was impatient. Impatient enough that he decided to cross the center median to pass him. In that act he killed my mom. The poor man driving THIS van blamed himself for years for his role in the accident. It haunted him. He died last week. Before he did I was able to meet with him and pray with him and assure him that the accident wasn't his fault, and that our family doesn't hold him responsible at all. I told him to look for my momma when he got to heaven, and I was sure she'd be waiting to give him a hug and tell him it was ok.

These boys went to Sky Ranch, outdoor science camp for 5th graders.  Stephen went as the chaperone and I was grateful for that.  They had a wonderful time.  There was a bit of drama with the other adult chaperone in their cabin, he was difficult and "center of the universe" and it made things interesting.  Stephen did great, he's been to scout camp so many times this was a cake walk.  And I know Sam enjoyed being with him and his BFF Luke Hess who was in his cabin, along with Luke Huang who is also a good friend.



Then as if we didn't have enough "friend" time, we agreed to have another of Sam's BFFs Mason Furness to stay the weekend with us while his parents are out of town.

Stephen and Kaitlyn and I got to attend a special fireside in our area about Religious Freedom with Elder Dallin H Oaks.  I got to go in person because of my calling and Stephen and Kaitlyn went with me.  Kaitlyn was really excited to see Elder Oaks.  The meeting was excellent.  And wouldn't you know but Glenn Beck sat in front of me....

No comments: