Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It doesn't matter if you lose a battle here and there, only that you win the War!

Ohhhh, do I remember the shock this phase was for me when Kaitlyn and I battled numerous times a day as she fought for more independance at every single part of her daily routine....it still doesn't make it any easier to help Sam grow through this.

For one, he is at least 10 times more stubborn than Kaitlyn ever was. I have learned to pick my battles and I've become accustomed to how long it takes sometimes to "break" his will when things are just non-negotiable. So here is how today has gone:

At breakfast he didn't want to finish his milk, and on his own got up to put the remaining 2 swallows in the fridge to save for later. But it was 2 swallows!! And it's always a concern of mine that my children stay hydrated since it's still warm outside, so I insisted he finish it. Battle #1 of the morning. It took probably 10 mintues but he realized I meant business and so he drank.


Then it was off to get him dressed. He has 2 favorite shirts. A Yellow Soccer Ball Shirt (that I rescued when his bloody head injury threatened it's destruction--thanks Leigh Ann!!) which he would wear DAILY if I would let him. As it is, he wears it at least twice a week. And the other shirt is a Blue T-shirt with lots of trucks on it. He also likes this one okay. But if both of these are dirty, it often takes a lot of coaxing to encourage him to wear something else.


This morning neither shirt was clean and he was insitant on wearing "big" or long pants. As I laid out every option he had, he reached into his drawers and pulled out some pajama long pants. I explained that those were pajamas and that he was going to be going to play with friends today, was he sure that this was what he wanted to wear. He assured me that it was and I gave him this one. Hey wouldn't you like to go around in your comfy pajamas? So if you see a woman in Allen, Texas with a very cute 2 year old still in his pajamas, you may just think I didn't take the time to dress my child this morning, I in fact did...it's just what he decided to wear today.

No comments: