Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Where I've been...

Okay, so the month of January has literally flown by! We had so much going on during the holidays I just needed to get back into a routine and I did, it just didn't include regularly blogging. So what have I been up to? This!

Now let me explain what "this" is. It's a potty party parade, of course. I'm tired of having 2 dirty bums to change (I've been doing it for over 14 months) and Sam is nearly 3 so I thought I'd give it a go. I was so hopeful, but the progress is slow.

He will use a training potty and go successfully, that is when I remember to put him on it at regular intervals. (And then as a reward we proceed to throw a potty party, complete with hats and blowers and parade around the house--thus the photo after his first successful potty incident) When I put him in big boy underpants he'll wet right through them and then tell me immediately he needs to be changed, we blow through the 5 pairs I have (along with clothing constitutes a load of laundry) and then we're on to disposable pull-ups until the next day when the laundry has been completed.

This has been my life for the last 3 weeks or so....oh yeah, that and keeping Lindsey away from the training potty. She LOVES it! Loves taking the removable receptical and carrying it around the house, loves sitting on it herself or seeing which of her stuffed animals fit perfectly into the receptical. Before most of you get completely grossed out, know that I do clean and lysol the thing after every use so we're not getting germs everywhere. So we've since moved the training potty into the actual bathroom (it had to be in the kitchen the first 3-4 days) and keep the door closed.

On talking to my other experienced moms, this is normal. "Boys are different." They sure are, training KP was a totally different experience.

1 comment:

D said...

Potty training is soooo rough. It is such a lesson in consistency for me. He is finally being pretty successful. I have glimmers of him not needing to be reminded to go every hour or so. #2 is much harder than #1 with him. Bribes are working well. He doesn't try as hard without a bribe...so we'll see how that goes... Right now he gets a prize when he goes #2 in the potty and when he stays dry all day (except naptime doesn't count). I bought a tube of little plastic animals from Target for 5 bucks and he gets to choose one of those for a prize. I also got cars socks, a coloring book, and some flashcards from the dollar spot to use as prizes.