Sunday, March 1, 2009

That's gonna leave a mark!

Poor Lindsey!
She really is convinced she's just as big as her older siblings so she's constantly amazing me with her attempts of a physical nature (climbing, reaching, balancing). It all actually makes me quite nervous and I'm shocked the following injury didn't take place in one of these situations......

Last Tuesday night Stephen was working late and I was bathing the kids and trying to get out the door to a meeting. I bathed Lindz first and had her dressed and set her down to toddle off to play while I bathed Sam and KP. Well, she tripped over a bathmat and her towel and landed on her face, on her nose, on the edge of our wooden stool the kids use in the bathroom to reach the sink.

Oh!! At first I couldn't tell where she'd hit, but then the blood GUSHING from her nose gave me a hint. She's freaking out screaming in pain, I'm trying not to get blood all over our clothing. It bled a bit and I called a neighbor (wonderful Carol!!) to come and help me with Sam and KP who had begun to wage WWIII in the bathtub. After about 20 minutes of holding a cold washcloth on her face (which by the way I totally recommend it's VERY popular with 16 month olds who are ready to go to sleep) we laid her down for the night. A couple hours later she woke up and it had begun bleeding again and had covered her bedding....

But then the next afternoon, and not until then, I noticed some swelling in her face. It continued so just for kicks we took her in to get some x-rays. (Again an experience I totally recommend with an infant--3 different x-rays of their face while having them hold perfectly still!) I was asked to wait in the waiting room, I could hear her scream for what felt like an eternity. And when the techs brought her out to me she was still short of breath but clutching a very cute purple beanie baby bear. The verdict, no fracture, just a really bad bump and some beautiful bruising!
Here she is as I'm noticing the swelling.
And the bruising begins.

Now the color is just one dark line under her eye. She mostly just looks like she was in a fight and lost! But all in all, she was a real trooper!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Ow! That had to hurt. She looks happy now.

Leslie said...

Poor baby!

Unknown said...

What a lovely mark. I'm glad she didn't break anything!

The Bright Family said...

Ouch!!! We hope the bruises heal soon!! :(