Saturday, June 22, 2013

End of school festivities

This is a long one, there was a lot going on....

Kaitlyn performed in the school talent show by playing the piano, it was her second year in a row.  She played a piece called "Tarrentilla" and did pretty well.  She has such a gift with music!  She event played a solo in sacrament meeting this month playing "Early Sunday Morning" from the Children's Songbook and I was so amazed at her poise and courage.  I'm so glad we've found this talent of hers.  She's been learning simplified versions of primary songs and the Primary President, Ally Poulton, has her play prelude once a month, what a great way to help her develop her talent!

I also accompanied her on a field trip to the Dallas Arboretum, I had a good group of girls to keep track of and we saw squirrels, a snake and a snapping turtle!  They had the kids disect animal poop to see what other animals that animal had eaten by identifying the bones (gross but cool) and they looked at skulls of animals to identify them. 

I was reluctant because I had a few tagalongs....but no one else wanted to help so we went, and they did GREAT!
Field day was busy!  The annual outside playday filled with races and water activities, it's a tradition that often makes me wish I'd bough my kids 2 pairs of athletic shoes for the school year so that they can trash one pair at this event and I don't have to work so hard to wash them by the next morning.  This day was as I expected in that regard.

Sam had his early in the morning which was perfect because the sun hadn't come out yet so it was cooler.  But it had rained recently so it was quickly being nicknamed "mud day"!

Matthew loved spending time with his siblings during the school day too!  Sam was a good sport when some of the parents targeted him and dumped him with a bucket of water.








But then I was RUNNING for the rest of the day.  This cute girl was "graduating" from preschool and it was important for me to be there.  As soon as it was over we hurried over to the school because Kaitlyn's field day was going on at practically the same time.  I felt bad for rushing her, I don't think she was ready to leave, in the moment she was fine but for the next day or so she was really missing her wonderful teacher, Ms. Kim.

Finding Kaitlyn at field day was a bit of a challenge.  In the upper grades it's not as structured as the lower grades (where the students stay with their teacher and class to rotate to all the stations) in the upper grades, they can go where they want.  So it took a bit to find Kaitlyn.  I knew she wouldn't be far from her cute friend Kendall.  But I did catch an action shot of her running and I think she had a good time, though she wasn't as wet or muddy as Sam.


No comments: