Sunday, June 23, 2013

He should be nicknamed Haz-MATT

Memorial Day 2013 was eventful.  We were enjoying an extra day to work on extending the flowerbeds, the everlasting home improvement project, and as we dug around in the dirt we were finding rocks and loading up the red wagon.  The children came and asked to throw the rocks in the small creek across the street.  We were watching them, chatting with a neighbor, and in fact noticed a family we didn't know round the bend and start walking around the creek.  I heard a bang, crash and screams "Mom!  Matthew fell in the creek!"

I ran over there in time to see that the wife of this family had jumped into the creek to get him out.  He'd landed head first on a sharp rock and had the head gash to prove it.  The Lord was watching out for him because this family happened to be a nurse (wife) and paramedic (husband).  The paramedic ripped off his shirt and started applying pressure.  I tried to take Matthew from him until he identified himself as a paramedic and told me to get a towel.  I called to Stephen to a towel but I don't think he yet knew he'd been hurt but just wet from the water.

The paramedic instructed us to take him to the ER that he didn't lose consciousness and the fact that he was crying and not lethargic was a good thing, we left our kids with a neighbor since I had to hold him in my lap and continue applying pressure to his head while Stephen drove.  I learned that head wounds get priority treatment at the ER which is good. =)

We got a CT scan (which we knew would likely be fine) and he had 4 stitches underneath and 11 on top.  Poor guy was not fully numb and he felt some of the stitches which was awful, but he's a trooper and until he goes bald the scar will be hidden by his hairline.



No comments: