Thursday, December 10, 2015

Worst mom day ever....

Kaitlyn is a special kid.  At school, each month teachers recognize a boy student and a girl student at a morning assembly as the "Marvelous Maverick".  For whatever reason, Kaitlyn hadn't been recognized since the 1st grade, and she's in 5th.  She never talked to me about it, but her siblings each got it each year, and I knew she noticed.  I silently prayed for a teacher in 5th grade who saw the special that she had in her.  5th grade has been different.  She has a teacher who pegged her as a book lover like him from the beginning of the year.  I love Mr. Gebhardt.

I didn't tell Mr. Gebhardt about my concern of her not being a Marvelous Maverick, I wasn't going to be one of "THOSE" moms.  But silently I hoped and prayed that she'd be recognized in this way, I knew it would be so good for her.  So I was thrilled when I got the email that she would be recognized at the morning assembly.  But I blew it, really really blew it.

With being sick, really really sick, I wasn't functioning at my normal level.  Stephen had been out of town that week and I'd been trying to be both mom and dad, at any rate.  The day of the assembly came and I forgot to come.  I wasn't there.  I realized my mistake when a friend texted me some photos of her at the assembly and I screamed and literally threw my phone across the room.  I was crushed.  I'd prayed and fretted over this experience for her and then when it came I missed it.

I called Stephen, dosed up on medication, and took her Chick-fil-a at lunch as a surprise.  She cried a bit when she saw me, she was hurt I wasn't there as well.  But repentance is real, and God puts us in families to help us practice principles of repentance and forgiveness.  I know I'm not perfect.  It breaks my heart that I let her down.  I do the best I can, and I guess that's all I can do.

No comments: