Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Asian Son

Wednesday was a busy day for us. Kaitlyn's preschool class had a picnic and we had so much fun and got a bit burned. Sam got burned worst of all but it still wasn't THAT bad. So imagine my surprise when he woke up Thursday morning looking like this:
On a bad sunburn, I've been known to swell a bit but this was suspicious to me to say the least. It seemed like an allergic reaction to something but for the time being I put some solarcaine on it (which caused his skin to get red and blotchy.....) we had breakfast and when getting him dressed I noticed this rash of little red dots all over his torso and around his diaper lines.....

Calling the doctor, putting him in an oatmeal bath. He's not seeming uncomfortable or hindered by the reaction in the least. We tried some Benadryl but the swelling still wasn't going down so off the the doctor we go. He exclaimed, "Sam you look like an oompa-loompa!" (No I wasn't offended)

Here's what we realized. To treat a NASTY diaper rash a friend had suggested to put Dermaplast on it to relieve the pain. I inadvertently sprayed some on his torso and face. (he was laying on his back...) When putting the pieces together outloud he said, "yeah mom, and some got into my mouth--yuck!" BINGO, MYSTERY SOLVED!

Medicine worked like a charm, swelling, rash and redness much better by bedtime.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Poor kid! I am glad you figured it out! Looks painful.

MomDadLewis said...

Proud of KP. Can't believe she sl grown up. And poor little Sam, glad he's better now. What a trooper. Love you guys.