Friday, August 19, 2011

Back to School Parade!!

One of the things I LOVE about the school my children attend is that every year they have a PARADE through our neighborhood just days before school starts to get everyone excited.

We make signs to celebrate and this year we made 2 because Sam is starting Kindergarten. We go to a park in our neighborhood along the parade route with our friends for breakfast and wait for the teachers to pass.....

Then the moment we've been waiting for arrives, a school bus filled with the administration leads the pack, followed by a decorated pick-up truck for each grade with the teachers, we yell and scream at them as they pass trying to get them to look at us! They honk their horns and waive at us.....

I was surprised because I got a little emotional at it this year (and so did Kaitlyn--she is me in so many ways) we saw her beloved teacher from last year (they've been pen pals this summer) and since Kaitlyn was sitting with some of her friends from last year Mrs. Donahue saw a huge pack of her "kids" and later she told me she just cried when she saw them she was so excited.

So the emotion was from so many things, the relief from seeing your first glimpse of a new teacher, the elation from seeing a fabulous former teacher, the realization that school is starting soon and the nerves and anticipation for that BIG DAY. And for me, I was sad to see Summer coming to a close.

No comments: