Friday, November 9, 2012

Stitches never happen at a good time....

Life with children is always an adventure.  I had one the other day....

Lindsey and Matthew were playing nicely (so I thought) and I walked down the street a bit to meet Kaitlyn and Sam who were walking home from school.  We're just about home when Lindsey comes out, crying, saying Matthew had thrown something at her and she was bleeding.

Now if I had a dollar for every time one of my children tells me they're bleeding and need a band aid.....

So I told her I'd be right in to see.  Well, what I saw was blood DRIPPING down her face and onto her shirt and a few drops on the tile.  Matthew had thrown a manga-doodle at her face, and it made a cut, a clean slice under her left eye on her cheek
But she was amazingly brave and not ever crying too badly.

I could tell the cut wasn't too deep, but it's on her face, and you just don't mess around with the face.  I started calling ER's looking for one with a plastic surgeon (because mom's sometimes panic).  But when I visited with my husband about it he told me I could do what I thought was right but that I might consider calling our regular doctor to see if he'd look at it first, maybe he could use some "super glue" stuff.  

So I did.  I farmed out my kids to a friend (Thanks Laura A.) who took the older 2 to Primary Program Practice, and let Matthew hang with her little girl (who is 6 days younger than him).  And I went to our regular doctor.  He was actually on his way out the door early on a Friday to start enjoying his weekend but stayed to treat Lindsey.

 I am so glad we went here.  He was indeed able to seal up the stitch without shot or stitch and use DERMABOND.  The entire trip to the doctor took an hour!  Who knows how long the ordeal would have taken had I gone to an ER with a non-life threatening emergency.  And I was able to pick up my children by the time their rehearsal was over.
 
This sweet girl was thrilled with her sticker and lollypop.  On her way to the doctor she burst into tears because her 5th Birthday Party was the NEXT DAY and she was worried her friends would laugh at her face.   (Bless her heart!) But I assured her that her friends would be concerned about her not laughing at her.  And so she perkily replied, "Then I'll just tell them about my trip!"

Love this girl, the timing couldn't have been more perfect.  A Birthday, party and all AND Halloween--this injury will be well documented.

No comments: