Sunday, August 24, 2008

A full circle moment

One of the BEST DECISIONS I've ever made was to serve a mission for my church. 18 months of selfless service spreading the gospel of my Savior Jesus Christ to the hispanic population of Houston Texas. I taught many people and was blessed so much by my experiences with them. But one thing I NEVER saw was a full circle conversion of someone, from beginning to "end".

This past weekend I participated in one. One of the most amazing people I've ever met is my good friend Arhely. Almost 2 years ago she started attending church with her husband Joe who was already a member. I was assigned to be her visiting teacher because she spoke only a little english. We made an immediate connection. We visited her monthly and during our visits she began to ask good questions about the gospel and we always shared the message and tried to teach basic gospel principles. She continued to attend church and before too long we noticed she wanted to read more and we gladly gave her the Liahona and got her her own subscription. After about 5 months or so of this I had a frank talk with her that it was time for her to become a member, to take the lessons from the missionaries (just a formality really because she had already learned the principles through attending church). She was baptized April 8, 2007.



She has continued to grow so much. She serves in Primary and is so good with the children. Our friendship has continued to grow and she is now my visiting teaching companion! She's demonstrated such faith and courage in this journey of hers, I am so proud of her!


This past Thursday and Saturday Arhely was able to go through the temple for the first time and I was able to be there with her. It was very emotional for me and her. She was sealed to her sweetheart of a husband Joe and now they can be a forever family!! She is glowing!! She is so happy and I am too! I feel on such a high! I have a forever friend. We decided that if we can choose our neighbors in heaven, we want to live next door to each other! I sure hope we can eat in heaven because I LOVE her cooking!! Felicitaciones mi amiga querdida!

2 comments:

Lois Lane said...

Wow, the hair on my arms a re standing up...

MomDadLewis said...

What a wonderful day! I am SO grateful for the Gospel. It's an amazing gift to share.