Sunday, August 24, 2008

Some Summer Fun!

Did you know that this past Thursday the 21st of August marked 50 years since Hawaii became part of the United States? And that this past Wednesday was Lemonade Day?

Neither did we but I have become bored of our normal hum drum days at home and decided to spice things up by finding some activities online to keep us busy. I found this great website, referred to me by my friend Alyson J, that had all these preschool type activities for every day of the year. So we've been having some fun.

On Lemonade Day I bought some lemons. We took the time to measure them, scratch off some of their skin and smell them, we assessed that they were smooth and round. Then we cut them open, we saw that they have triangle shaped sections. We licked them and WOW! That's what "sour" tastes like. Then we juiced them and used the rinds as boats in bowls of water on the back porch. We tried to see how many beads it would take to sink our "boats". Then we mixed ingredients to make homemade lemonade that we enjoyed with our dinner! It was fun!

Then our Hawaii Holiday! We started the morning by reading a couple story books with a Hawaii theme. Then we turned on some Hawaii Luau music and just danced around. Later we created "grass skirts" by combining newspaper with slits cut and crepe paper over them. Sam was not amused and wouldn't wear his, but Kaitlyn did and loved dancing. I showed her my best immitation of a hula and she mimicked me. If I can figure out how to turn the video image I'll upload it, but for the time being this is a still shot of it (the video is much cuter!)


For ideas for some of your own activities check out "Learning through the days of the year" on www.universalpreschool.com