Monday, August 16, 2010

Days 9: Temple Square

I'd been anticipating this stop for a bit for obvious reasons. Temple Square is our church's headquarters and has numerous historic monuments and museums with regards to our religion. All this year the children's magazine subscription, The Friend each month has highlighted a different attraction on temple square that can be seen through a child's eyes. I saved all those articles and on our road trip I reviewed them with each of them and we talked about the things we'd see.
WARNING: LOTS OF PICTURESUs in the tabernacle, the famous venue where the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings, those pipes behind us are famous!!Us on top of the Conference Center with the Salt Lake Temple in the background.Sam sitting in a chair in the Conference Center.
Kaitlyn sitting in a fancy chair in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.
Lindseyas "Mary" in the Museum of Church History and Art in a children's area.

We also hit the distribution center and Stephen and I hooked ourselves up with new scriptures, and each child chose a picture of Jesus I've since framed for them to put in their room and we got some desperately needed church movies (a Sunday morning must!) And we also went to the Beehive House, the Assembly Hall, both Visitor Centers....

The day was long, the kids were tired. We'd really been asking a lot of them but I felt the spirit of the place and was glad to show my kids where conference happens, where President Monson has his office, etc.

On the way back to our friends' house (wonderful, and amazing eternal friends Jill & Dave Christensen who only originally agreed to 2 nights of the 3 ring circus we bring with us, and who ended up letting us stay 4 nights or something CRAZY like that) we decided to try some famous burrito place called Cafe Rio that I see a lot of my friends rave about on facebook.

I have to be honest, dinner time was rough because baby Matthew was always DONE and didn't make things easy on me. I didn't realize that these burritos needed to be eaten with a knife and fork and were messy to eat, my kids didn't care too much for the quesadillas which were really greasy, I just had a steak burrito and not the prize winning pulled pork. I wasn't that impressed and I'll take my freebird burrito any day over a Cafe Rio one. Just sayin.

No comments: