Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

Family time and making memories are really important to me.

I felt like our Memorial Day was one for the books as it lived up to all my wonderful expectations of a day full of fun, memorable activities.
The day started with a Memorial Day Breakfast at church.  It was advertised as a pancake breakfast but I was personally thrilled when it turned out to be breakfast burritos.  Stephen coordinated the scouts on a flag ceremony and ....

I learned that on Memorial Day the flag is raised completely and then lowered to half mast and then at noon it is to be raised all the way to the top--WHO KNEW?!?!  

Then a veteran came and spoke to us brieftly about his experiences and how we should be grateful for those who did their duty and offered the ultimate sacrifice for us.  I thought of Stephen's grandfather, Joseph Daniel Day, a decorated veteran who is buried near Ft. Worth and I wished we'd had planned it into our day to go and visit his and Grandma Day's graves.  Mental note taken for the future.

Then we came home to do a few things (food prep and yard work) and get ready for activity #2 of the day: Water Fight and BBQ with my parents!


We had fun....

Then on to fun activity #3:
Summer Sounds City Concert Series featuring
Allen Philharmonic Symphony and Chorus
AND Fireworks

This place got pretty crowded but we found some seats with some friends 
(sorry to say I forgot the camera)
And really enjoyed some music.  Lindsey would get up and dance around, Matthew bounced to the rhythm in my lap, we enjoyed popcorn and granola bars (still stuffed from the BBQ) and stayed an hour because it was a school night.

Our children were exhausted from all the excitement, and we were happy to have had such a full, fun day!

No comments: