Monday, June 30, 2008

Pray for us!

A big change is about to happen to the McKneely's. Stephen was called into the bishopric of our ward. For you who are not members of our faith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is divided into congregations (called "wards") based on geographic boundaries. Each congregation is lead by a Bishop. He has 2 counselors to help him oversee all the activities and business of the congregation. It's not a paid position nor is it permanant, it just means Stephen will be that much busier!

We're excited for the blessings his service will bring to our family and for the learning and growing he will experience. But what I'm trying to get my head around is how to handle Sacrament Meeting. It's the main meeting with everyone and his assignment requires him to sit on the stand and leave me with our three wiggly, wonderful, loud and amazing children.

It is going to take the ward to get the McKneelys through sacrament meeting....stay tuned for how our first Sunday goes.

Do you have any ideas how to keep them reverent?

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Hey Melissa,
Congratulations to your family. I know it's going to be a hard adjustment, you guys will do great though. I kind of think that being called into a calling like that is a little like having a brand new baby, a rough adjustment at first but so worth it.

Laura said...

Duck taping them to the pew would probably work.:)

michelle said...

Jared's been the second counselor for two years now. I do miss sitting with him, especially now with Annabelle.

Your mom was telling me how you guys 'practiced' - I love that idea. I'd suggest asking friends for help too - if one is misbehaving or needs to be taken outside, maybe go ask a primary/nursery teacher or someone the children know to come sit by them. Worst case, have Stephen come off the stand to do it - it will be a rare occasion and people understand that he's a father before he's a bishopric member.

Good luck - and you and Tiff were so missed at the reunion!

Cathy Lewis said...

Hey there...Aunt Cathy here. Welcome to the Sunday Widows' club! Ah, the memories!!! I sooo looked forward to Monday so I could recoop! Hang in there and I agree with Michelle about having friends help. Looks like the people in the pew in front already are doing that. I really like the idea of sitting up front so that Daddy can keep an eye; wish I had thought of that.
Congratulations to Stephen; he'll be great and so will you too.