Monday, December 29, 2014

Kindness of others


I believe that what you put out comes back to you in the end.  If you put out selfishness, rudeness and unkindness, it will come back to you.  If you put out love, service and light, it too will come back to you.

I have felt such an outpouring of love and concern, it's hard to detail it all.

While still in Boston, the swirl of trying to decide when I should go home, I got an email from our dear friends the Tesons.  Scott flies frequently for work and was offering up all his airline miles to fly our whole family home if needed.  

A sweet friend, Amy O'Neil, texted me early one day letting me know she was at Target and could get me something.  I didn't see the time stamp on the text and when I saw it later that afternoon I told her I needed some Dove Dark Chocolate and my sister needed some iced tea.  Then I noticed that she'd sent the text hours before and I tried to tell her never mind.  To which she responded, "like cravings just go away, I'll be right over."

My neighbors across the street (Glaser) and next door (Dove) each made runs to the grocery store for me, AND let themselves into my home to put the groceries away.

Women from my church came and cleaned my house really well in preparation for all the company to come.  Some of them stayed to help me sort through photos that were needed for the funeral and family dinner.

My other neighbors pitched in for a large card they all signed and an eatable arrangements while all our company was here.

My lawn was mowed every few days by well meaning friends and neighbors (Doves, Menini's, Colmans)

MEALS, FOOD, and GIFT CARDS for restaurants poured in from church and neighborhood friends.  Christine Kless in the neighborhood collected money and we got over $500 in gift cards to various restaurants.  These were a lifeline to us in the weeks after mom passed.

Sandra Hamblin and Amy got me a beautiful necklace, flowers and cards etc.

Sweet things were brought to my children, the primary made them fleece blankets, Kaitlyn got a journal.

This one instance was really sweet.  I got a lot of flower arrangements and plants when mom died.  They were gorgeous and having them in my home helped me feel loved and supported.  But the flowers died.  New ones were brought, and they died.  Just when I figured that my time with fresh flowers was up, I had just tossed out my last arrangement (from sweet Rachel Hay and Aubrie Bailey) and I thought to myself, "these are the last of my flowers", not 5 minutes later, my friend Julie Atkinson showed up with these......God is so mindful of me and my grief.
My children have also been my support.  They have been like ministering angels to me.  When they see me crying they just quietly give me a hug, they pat my hand, they bring me tissues, etc.  I am so grateful for them.  They have supported me.  I wasn't expecting this.

One evening, after everyone had gone to bed, I came out and found this on the kitchen counter:
"Mom, Hug this as tight as you want when you miss Grandma, Love KP" and I cried.  This was her new bear she'd just made at a birthday party.  It was very special to her and she let me borrow it for awhile.  What a selfless, sweet and compassionate thing for her to do.  Made my mommy heart sing!


No comments: