Monday, December 29, 2014

Trek 2014

 
We got to do something few get to do.  Stephen and I got to go on the Stake Youth Pioneer Trek reenactment and we got to BRING OUR KIDS!!!

I think due to Stephen's ability to play the violin AND that we had children young enough to play the roles in some of the vignettes we were invited to help with the music and vignettes that the youth would come upon during the day.

We spent 3 days at the LBJ Grasslands camping and helping the youth of our stake appreciate a bit of the pioneer experience.

We really lucked out with the weather.  For one, it RAINED our first day.  True it made it really muddy, but it also cooled things off.  We were prepared for the triple digit temperatures that plagued Trek 4 years earlier and had people passing out from the heat right and left.

Our children LOVED it.  Being some of the only children on Trek they quickly became famous and adored.  They LOVE to camp and for them this was just an awesome vacation.


Kaitlyn got heat stroke the 2nd day.  She forgot to drink enough during the afternoon (Pioneer village activities) and by dinner she was dragging.  I thought she might just be hungry or thirsty.  I encouraged her to eat her dinner and drink her drink but as soon as she got it down she complained of a stomach ache.  I took her right over to the medic tent.  They strongly encouraged her to drink a water bottle flavored with kool aid.  She really didn't want to and really felt awful.  But she did it, but when she got it down it came right back up with her dinner.  Poor thing.  But at that point it meant she needed an IV.  She was scared.  But we had wonderful people taking care of us, Viki Walker from our ward (who had had an impression weeks before that one of our kids would get sick and she would be needed--so humbling to know the Lord cares), Ben Quenzer who was a master with the needle, and President Fisher who was moral support.  As soon as she got that IV in her she bounced right back, her color was back in her cheeks and she was happy again.  Whew!

It was up in the air whether or not we would go.  While we were still in Boston, President Trent Thomas emailed us to give us the out not to go if it was too much for us.  But we really wanted to go, and thought the distraction would be good for us.

I think people hoped it would be this wonderful spiritual experience for me, but it wasn't.  I think I went for other people, I think our going was a strength to everyone else and that we were to be examples to them.  Towards the end of the week I got really tired of all the sympathy.  It was the first opportunity most of our friends in the Stake had to offer their condolences to me so they took the opportunity.  I was still numb.  And I pushed my grief aside to complete our assignments there at Trek.  No one wants to grieve so publicly.

I am grateful for some great photos from the week......much of it was a blur.








No comments: