Monday, December 29, 2014

Twilight Camp

We have a cub scout.

It was his first year of Summer Cub Scout Twilight Camp.  In most areas of the country Cub Scout camp happens during the day, but in Texas where it's amazingly hot, camp is held at "twilight" from 4-8:00 each evening.

I long before mom's passing had signed up to be a chaperone.  Since it required background checks and specific training I'd attended in person I couldn't get out of it.

This day was awful.  Probably one of my worst.  It was hard to get out of bed.  EVERYTHING overwhelmed me.  The thought of going to camp with a bunch of "squirrely" cub scouts and be helpful was a joke.  Stephen hadn't arrived home by the time I had to leave the other children at home alone.  I couldn't even get him on the phone so I had no idea when an adult would get home.

But we went and it was ok.

I remember taking this picture with Sam on purpose.  As I've been going through photos of my mom I have been desperate to find a recent one of us together and I can't.  She and I were always the ones behind the camera.  I have some of her with each of my children but I can't find one of us together.  I noticed that I wasn't in a lot of pictures last year as I reviewed 2013 and I made it a point to not worry so much if I looked decent enough for a picture, but to be in the pictures anyway.  So here is a photo so Sam can have one of just us and so he remembers that I was there!

No comments: